I have had a million and a half things going on in my head recently. I’m about to move, about to start a new job, and about to turn into a grown-up real quick. It’s a lot. I think back to four years ago and how difficult I thought going to college was… and now here I am thinking that was a cake walk. (If you’re getting ready to start college and you’re super nervous…. I seriously seriously seriously recommend taking it one day at a time. Enjoy every minute because it truly flies by.)
I am the first to admit that I just do not handle change (really any kind of change) well. It’s difficult for me to adjust. I’m anxious about everything that is happening. And I’m anxious about everything that is about to happen. (Even though I know that everything going on is awesome.) I’m even anxious about how I’m going to respond to all the changes. It’s a crazy cycle!!!
90% of the time I have been trying just not to think about it if I can help it. And the other 10% of the time, I’ve switched into a “stress management” mode. Here are five quick ways to relieve stress:
1. Drink a bottle of water | Did you know that dehydration can worsen (or even create) stress and anxiety? If I can’t quite put my finger on what’s causing my stress, I know to grab a bottle of water. Drinking water also helps because it gives me a little break and something else to think about. I’ve been trying to drink more water to prevent anxiety, but sometimes I’m not that great about remembering to drink. Personally, I have issues (haha) with drinking out of reusable cups, but these acrylic monogrammed cups are adorable!
2. Listen to music or read a book | I start and end each day by reading. It’s the best way to keep your brain going, but simultaneously shutting it off to the rest of the world. I like to read a little bit in the morning to kick start the day. Jumping right into emails and whatever else is on my daily to-do list never ends well. Spending the first five minutes of my day reading a few pages of a book is great! While I’m unwinding at night, I’ll read a little more. It helps me forget about the day’s stresses and also helps me fall asleep better. (Most of the time, it’s much easier to close a book than to turn away from the ever-enticing Internet.) Listening to music is a good alternative as well! (How cute are these Kate Spade earbuds!?!?)
3. Write a letter (or two) | While emailing and texting are quick and easy, there’s nothing quite like writing a real letter. I sometimes write letters to myself (either past Carly or future Carly) and I sometimes write letters to friends. I have to be honest here and say that I never mail them… but writing is a therapeutic process in and of itself! Rifle Paper Co. has precious little “social stationery” cards that would be perfect for quick notes. It’s a win-win: relieve some stress and brighten someone’s day!
4. Give yourself a manicure | I’ve admitted that I paint my nails quite frequently. I love having a fresh manicure and I absolutely hate chips. This is a major reason why I paint them so much. But I also paint them because I think it’s such a great way to relieve stress. The best part? I’m FORCED to sit still for about fifteen minutes. I can’t type. I can’t text. I can’t move. It’s the greatest!
5. Wash your hair | You know how the song goes: “I’m going to wash that man right out outa my hair.” I think there’s a lot to be said about this! I do my best thinking in the shower. Just standing under the shower and literally cleaning up can make the inside of my head feel much more organized. I always leave the shower feeling refreshed and renewed. When I really need to relax, I will even do a hair mask!
What are your quick tricks to relieving stress?